Thursday, June 2, 2011

Tender Endings




Today was "Fairy Tale Fun Day" in third grade. My students dressed as characters from the tales we've read, we made Hansel and Gretel cottages (a.k.a. gingerbread houses), read fairy tales to the Kindergartners, and watched my favorite modern-day fairy tale, Nanny McPhee.

I was going to use that movie time to wrap up some classroom tasks that have to be done before the last day, but I didn't. I just sat and watched with them. Mostly, I just watched their precious faces watching.

And when Emma Thompson quoted her last line of the movie...

"When you need me, but do not want me, I will stay. When you want me, but do not need me, then I must go."

....my heart ached and the tears fell, because, once again I know, they no longer need me and I must let them go.

No comments:

Post a Comment