Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Valentine "Treat"



When my girls were little I used to use the phrase "No means NO!" alot!  And like any other little child, they would "keep on keepin' on" in hopes of wearing me down and getting their way and sometimes their antics were successful....especially if I wanted them to "pipe down" and leave me alone.

Lately, I have felt that way with God.  I keep asking and asking and asking, all the while thinking He must be tired of it...especially since it appears that "No means NO!" and nothing is changing.

Last night, my husband gave me a little Valentine treat.  It was the gift of God's Word just before we went to bed...specifically Luke 18.  He had read it earlier in the day and wanted to share it with me.

OK.

He began to read about this annoying widow who was bugging the "snotookies" out of this one judge "who neither feared God nor cared about men." (Luke 18:2)

"For some time he refused.  But finally he said to himself, 'Even though I don't fear God or care about men, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming."  (Luke 18:4-5)

I suppose we could compare God to the unjust judge, that is, that He will not answer our requests promptly unless we keep bugging Him.  However, I do know from scripture, this is not how my God works. In contrast, the FAITHFUL character of my loving God is nothing like the cynical, self-serving, unrighteous judge.  All that my God is, the judge is not.

So, if that unjust judge, who truly cared nothing for the widow, responded to her cry merely to rid himself of her annoying"ness", how much more does my heavenly Father who loves me and is "intimately acquainted with all my ways " (Psalm 139), desire to give me abundantly what I should have.  And surely He KNOWS what I should have.

The parable goes on to say:

"Listen to what the unjust judge says.  And will not God bring about justice for His chosen ones, who cry out to Him day and night?  Will He keep putting them off?  I tell you He will see that they get justice, and quickly." (Luke 18:6-8)

And then there is this part:

"However, when the Son of Man comes, will He find FAITH on the earth?"  (Luke 18:8b)

Oh wow.  There it is.  The kicker.  Faith. 

I suppose the waiting  might have something to do with that.... Faith.  Faith to know that He is working out a purpose that I cannot see.  And I know Him well enough to know that He likes to work on His timetable....not mine.  (Bummer.)  My job is to persevere in Faith, trusting Him in what I ask of Him.  

I am thankful that, unlike the unjust judge who cared nothing for the widow, my God never really wants me to "pipe down" and leave Him alone.




   

No comments:

Post a Comment