Monday, June 3, 2013

Short Cuts

 
It was a wonderful weekend, despite all that was a bit heavy on my mind.  The Lord was kind to allow me to leave it at His feet, even though I kept wanting to pick it up again.  

Andy invited me accompany him to estimate a job in Greenville on Saturday.  The girls had gone to help a friend move, so it was a treat to get a little "Work Date" with my sweetheart.  

We stopped for a hot dog at a restaurant that one of his customers owns in Greenville...only it is no longer a hot dog place.  Turned out to be a lovely experience.  One of those "I want to wrap this up and keep it" kind of experiences.  I cherished the gift of it.

On Saturday evening, Andy and Rebecca had a little Daddy-Daughter Date while Caroline and I watched a Hallmark movie...trying to hide our crocodile tears from each other.  (We love sappy Hallmark movies.)

On Sunday, Mark reminded us all that Jesus doesn't just ask us, request of us, suggest to us, or recommend the lying down in the green pastures...He MAKES us.  That's a good thing.  (Psalm 23:2)

We came home to Crock Pot Beans and lunch at the dining room table (because the kitchen table is piled high with quilting.)  And Rebecca had made a Key Lime Pie on Saturday, so that was a real treat.  We finished off the last of it.

After a brief nap, we all piled in the bathroom to wait out the tornado warning passing through our city... a little bonding in the bathroom.  I was unusually calm, which is a rarity for this fearful girl.  I don't like storms.

After the storm, we ventured out in the car to take Rebecca to a party and pick up a movie.  On one side of the sky, the sun poured out.  The other side was a deep dark gray.  It was beautiful...everything so green from the heavy rains.  We spotted a vivid rainbow.  He keeps His promises.

And this morning, I woke to a brand new week.  I made the coffee and walked around doing the morning stuff and giving God suggestions on how He could resolve all that needs resolving in our lives.  I'm sure I was incredibly helpful.

I decided to sit down with the Bible.   I was reading in Exodus and I came across this:

When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, though that was shorter.  (Exodus 13:17)

Hmmmm.  God is not really in the business of short cuts.  

I, personally, like short cuts.  I often suggest to my husband a "better way" to go when we are en route somewhere.  (That usually does not go over very well.)

Exodus goes on to say:

For God said, "If they face war, they might change their minds and return to Egypt. So God led the people around by the desert road..." (Exodus 13:18-19)

And wouldn't that have been a bummer...  'Cause they were heading to the promised land!  (You know, that land filled with milk and honey.)

I think I will stay on the path He has me on.  It's probably worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment