Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Birth of a Kindred Spirit




 

She was my very first friend when I got married, moved, and attempted to navigate a brand new town.  Newly married herself, she and her husband came up and introduced themselves in Sunday School at the church where we were visiting.  Soon after, she called and invited me to lunch.  To this day, it's one of our favorite lunch spots... Brick Street Cafe.

We have seen a bunch of life together.  Our first two children (Her's boys, Mine girls) were born only two weeks apart each time.  When she called to tell me her third was going to be a girl, I cried! 

She is a treat giver and often delights me with an unexpected surprise...just because.  

She likes to sew, and craft, and design, and create!  And it is fun to share that with her.  She likes fabric, and paper, and ribbon, oh my!  We share ideas and thoughts and find it impossible to surprise each other with homemade gifts...because "great creative minds think alike", and we've both already done it!

She's an amazing mother.  You know, the kind who cuts up her strawberries, sprinkles sugar on them, and keeps them in the fridge when her kids need a snack. I admire her and wish to be like her in so many ways.

We have laughed till we cried and cried till we laughed...together.  And we have shared heartbreak and happiness in life's trials and joys...together.

We are opposites in so many ways.  She's always on time, I'm rarely NOT late.  She's got her ducks in a row.  Mine are waddling in all different directions. 

She is a loyal and faithful friend.  The kind who loves you no matter what.  

And she's finally caught up to me and completed the 4th decade of life!
 
 






























Happy Birthday, My Dear, Sweet, Forever Friend!


“In friendship…we think we have chosen our peers. In reality a few years’ difference in the dates of our births, a few more miles between certain houses, the choice of one university instead of another…the accident of a topic being raised or not raised at a first meeting–any of these chances might have kept us apart. But, for a Christian, there are, strictly speaking no chances. A secret master of ceremonies has been at work. Christ, who said to the disciples, “Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you,” can truly say to every group of Christian friends, “Ye have not chosen one another but I have chosen you for one another.” The friendship is not a reward for our discriminating and good taste in finding one another out. It is the instrument by which God reveals to each of us the beauties of others.”
― C.S. LewisThe Four Loves


3 comments:

  1. So sweet! Thankful to call you both my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a precious gift the Lord gave me those many years ago in you! You have blessed me in countless ways! I am thankful we get "to do" life together. HE has woven our lives & families together and I am eternally grateful! Kindred spirits indeed, dear friend! "True friends are always together in spirit."~ Anne Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've now gotten two comments on your blog to actually post! :)

    ReplyDelete